Sugar has a lot of negative effects on our bodies. From our heart, to our teeth, to our waistline, to our skin. Because of the inflammation it causes, sugar helps produce enzymes that break down collagen and elastin – resulting in sagging skin and wrinkles. No one wants this! Ideally, women should have no more than 25 grams of sugar a day, and men should have no more than 38 grams. But…
“THE AVERAGE AMERICAN CONSUMES 82 GRAMS OF SUGAR EVERY DAY.”
– UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA
– The sugar in one 12oz can of soda is as much as 1 orange + 16 strawberries + 2 plums.
– In 1822, Americans only consumed 45 grams of sugar every five days – about the same as ONE can of soda. In 2012, Americans consumed 756 grams of sugar every five days – 130 lbs of sugar a year!! (nerdfitness.com)
– When you consume sugar your body will either burn it for energy or convert it to fat and store it in your fat cells.
– According to Harvard Health, Over the course of the 15-year study on added sugar and heart disease, participants who took in 25% or more of their daily calories as sugar were more than TWICE as likely to die from heart disease as those whose diets included less than 10% added sugar.
– Sugar is addicting. Sugar can affect the brain much like cocaine and alcohol, according to the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse.